Thursday, 19 January 2012

Quick & Easy Cardigan DIY


Hello ladies.

Earlier today I popped up to the shops to get some medicine (feeling very sorry for myself today!) from my local Superdrug. Opposite is my very favourite charity shop, Barnardo's, it's what I remember a charity shop to be, not what they are becoming - I am looking at you St Peters Hospice. Reasonably priced goods, lots of bits to look through, and most importantly full of people with arms full of things. It seemed rude not to have a quick look. Slim pickings I must say but I did manage to pick up a tomato red cardigan for £1.99. 


Brand new New Look standard cardigan. Pretty boring. So I thought "what can I do with this?". Buttons! Replace the standard buttons with something a bit prettier. 

I got the idea from a small vintage boutique in Manchester a couple of years a go. I found a pretty standard black cardigan with pretty kitsch buttons instead of the standard buttons. Although I thought it was pretty, the shop was charging £29.95. Instead of shelling out the best part of £30, I thought to myself "I could do that" so I left the shop with my purse still in tact. 

I am in no way a crafty person. As much as I would like to be, it was something that I never really learnt. I do however know the very basics of sewing, more to fix things than to make them! So I decided that I would get some pretty buttons and give it a go. Although I picked my beads up from The Bead shop in Afflecks, they don't have the buttons on the website, but a good place to look is eBay. You can find big bags for around £1.99. 

So here is how I do it:


First, pick your buttons. Count how many you need and pick the ones you like. My top tip would be to go for buttons that are the same size or slightly bigger than the original buttons or it will end up slightly looking a little lop sided. I tend to leave a couple of the original buttons so I can still do up at least one button (important if you are going a little larger with the new buttons).

Cut off the original buttons as neatly as you can and place the new button over the thread holes.

Sew it tightly and as straight as you can manage. When your finish tie the back up and just snip off the ends to tidy it up. If any one fancies the lady bird buttons, I did see them on eBay.


Carry on all the way down. This will probably take around 10 minutes and then, TA DAAA.


I made a coffee before starting this and it wasn't actually cold by the time I finished. I am pretty happy with how it turned out. The whole cardigan and buttons probably cost about £2.50. Take that small boutiques! And not just them, when I worked for Urban Outfitters years a go part of the renewal range was plain 80's jumpers with a few buttons sewn on, they cost £35 each. I think I will save my money for a nice necklace! 

I have just popped this in the wash to get rid of the charity shop smell so I can wear it in London this weekend. I just hope I feel better by tomorrow!

Do you do little updates? Any plans for the weekend?

X

24 comments:

  1. Really cute! I love making changes to clothes!
    http://lottie-loves-beauty.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute idea :) Thanks for sharing, it's made me wan to customise some of my clothes x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you & go for it, buttons etc can always be put back on if you don't like it :)

      Delete
  3. What a great idea! It looks lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! Especially the ladybird button. x

    sffhcks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and I love them but I am running low, need to order some more :)

      Delete
  5. this is great! I love accessorizing clothing, giving them a new lease of life. New buttons are such a simple and effective idea that anyone can do. Great great post! :D

    http://outsidebeautyinsidehealth.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw that's really kind, thank you :)

      Delete
  6. Soo cute! I love this. Might have to attack my cardi with some cool buttons! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wish I'd seen this sooner! I had a pink cardi from New Look that I was in LOVE with, but all of the buttons fell off and I lost them. I didn't even think of buying different ones and sewing them on so I binned it.

    This looks really amazing though! Loving the buttons!

    http://lolastarhearts.blogspot.com/

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an adorable diy idea! I am totally going to copy this :)

    /Cindi

    http://cherriesandsunflowers.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have awarded you the cute blog award. Check out my blog for details :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow, what a lovely way of taking something and adding your own style! I often go into charity shops and pick up some really good bargains.

    Lovely blog,

    Joanna x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww, this is such a cute little DIY! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a great idea! :) I love how it turned out! Nice!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment & make my day!