Tuesday, 21 February 2012

Pancake Day, My Way

Hello ladies.

As probably all of you are aware, today is pancake day. I am a big fan of pancakes. But I'm not talking about English pancakes, not those at all. I'm talking about fluffy, thick American pancakes. My boyfriend is American and since living together I don't think we've had English pancakes, always opting for the bigger, badder and in my opinion American style. So if your feeling a little fed up with English pancakes, here is my recipe for fluffy American pancakes.

What you will need

  •  Milk (130 grams)
  • Self Raising Flour* (135 grams)
  • 1 egg
  • Butter / Margarine (30 grams)
  • Bicarbonate of soda (half a tea spoon)
  • Salt (if you don't keep yours in a monkey any old salt will do) 
  • Caster Sugar (3 table spoons)  
* You can use plain flour, but self raising flour will make fluffier pancakes.


Anything you fancy putting on top of the pancakes! Nutella, Golden Syrup, Glitter Sugar, Peanut butter or whatever takes your fancy!

So on to the recipe!


Before you start preparing the ingredients, put your frying pan on a low heat, as you will need it to be red hot before you put any batter in it.


Weight out 135 grams of self raising flour in a medium sized bowl.


Add half a tea spoon of bicarbonate of soda.


Add half a teaspoon of salt.


Add three tablespoons of caster sugar and put that bowl to one side.


In a separate medium sized bowl weigh out 130 grams (or ml, they are the same) of milk (and try not to spill as much as I did!).


Add one medium to large egg to the milk.


Whisk the two together. If you don't have your very own squid whisk (& why not!) any old standard hand whisk will do.


In a separate bowl again (this does make a fair bit of washing up!) weigh out 30 grams of butter.


Melt the butter until its a liquid.


Pour the butter in to the bowl with the milk & egg.


Milk the butter in to the egg & milk.


Get the bowl with the flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt and sugar in and pour it in to the bowl with the egg, milk and butter in.


You can mix the batter by hand but if you have an electric whisk it is much easier to get it very smooth. Whisk until there are no lumps in the mixture.


Once whisked, it's time to cook! The batter will make around 10 smallish pancakes. You can make them as big or small as you like but I find smaller ones much easier to flip! A pancake is ready to flip when you can see lots of little bubbles appearing on the top.


Cook until golden brown. To make sure the middle is cooked press down with a spatula, if it's not cooked it will feel squishy, if it is cooked it will feel firm.


When they are ready, serve them up and put whatever you fancy on them! I have opted for golden syrup and a sprinkle of glitter sugar. 

So, have I tempted anyone to join me in American pancakes for pancake day?

X

18 comments:

  1. I like American pancakes but I fancied lemon and sugar today and I think that goes better with the thinner ones :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no love for lemon myself :) x

      Delete
  2. they look perfect :) yummy x

    I am using betty crocker ready mix :) laziness got me today ;) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it's fair enough, the betty crocker ones usually come out well so may as well ^^ x

      Delete
  3. These look so yummy! I love American pancakes, although after having them pretty much everyday at Disney when I was a kid I can only face them once a year now - I have only myself to blame! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did the same thing when I was in America a while a go, I don't often make them but when I do, oh they are so good!

      Delete
  4. aah they look so good! i'm stuck with microwave ones once again -_- x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you hun, I've never tried the microwave ones, quick though I would imagine! x

      Delete
  5. Im waiting till saturday for when the o/h is back (he loves pancakes) and will try and tempt him with this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pancakes are amazing, it is beautiful food x

      Delete
  6. I always wondered how to make this type!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teehee ^^ it's fairly easy, but I think the secret is melted butter :) x

      Delete
  7. Wish I could be bothered to buy some ingredients, it looks really yummy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't actually think about it being pancake day until twitter told me, I just happened to have all the ingredients in :) x

      Delete
  8. Never tried american pancakes- may give it ago as all this has made me very hungry! great post :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are wonderful, deffo a good thing to give a try :) x

      Delete
  9. We always have American pancakes too much nicer. I don't like English ones much x

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment & make my day!