Saturday, 11 February 2012

Quick And Easy Banoffee Pie Recipe

Evening ladies. 

Today has been a do nothing sort of day. But I am seldom a do nothing sort of person. I can't sit still and constantly want to be doing something, anything. So I decided to make something. Being a pudding girl I decided to have a stab at one of my favourite puddings. Banoffee pie. 

Let me first say, I'm not a cook. Or rather I don't really have the patience to be one, I like quick recipes that are easy to make. Show me a recipe that takes more than 45 minutes, max, and I will be down the chip shop faster than you can say "large chips and a diet coke". I had heard that banoffee pie was really quick and easy to make, so today I finally had a look for a recipe. It looked easy and simple so I thought I would give it a go. I decided to run to Morrisons as it's just up the road and always has good "cheapy" alternatives.

What you need:
  • 250g of plain digestives
  • 300ml Whipping Cream
  • 100g butter
  • 4 small bananas 
  • small amount of chocolate for decoration 
  •  One secret ingredient - 397g can of Carnation caramel (or you can make your own, if you are better versed in cooking) 
So, step one, the base. 

Weigh out 100 grams of butter


Melt the butter completely so its fully runny. 


Next, weigh out 250 g of the digestive biscuits.


These will need to be broken up so that you can make them extremely fine to form the base. 


To get the biscuits fine enough for the base, I chose to blend them to get fine, but you can also bash them with a rolling pin. 


Once fine add the melted butter to the biscuits. 


Mix them together.


Spread the biscuit base evenly around, well, in my case, fish. The recipe calls for a 9" tart tin, but I don't have one of those. I have a fish dish I brought from a charity shop a while back and when I was looking for something to put it in, it seemed like the clear choice. 


Now open your secret weapon. Or if your doing this with home made caramel, make sure it's cold so it doesn't join with the base. 


As with the base, spread the caramel around evenly making another layer. 


Now put the bases in the fridge to chill. Leave it there until you are ready to make the next two layers, just before serving. 


When your ready to serve, slice your bananas. The recipe calls for 4 small bananas but I just played it by what looked right. In this case three looked about right.


Spread the bananas about, as before, to make another layer. 


Pour the whipping cream in to something you can whip it in. You can do this by hand or with an electric whisk. Whisk until the cream thickens.


Spread the cream around to make the fourth layer. 


Get your chocolate and grate it on top to finish. A little really will go a long way, to do the whole of my fish it only used one square of chocolate. 


And if your making a fish shaped one, I suggest adding a little chocolate eye. 

So that's it. All in all it took around 30 minutes, although buying the caramel defiantly sped up the prep time. It is also very, very tasty. 

So what do you think? Look nice? Any one have any quick and easy recipes to share? Please link me! 

X

14 comments:

  1. That looks lovely! I love banoffee pie, and such a coincidence reading about this recipe as I am making it for my boyfriend on Valentines so think I will use this recipe! Thanks! Love the fish shaped dish as well.

    Steph x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw that's cool, and it was really yummy :) x

      Delete
  2. Oh I am definitely going to try and make this! Love banoffee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I liked banoffee :( it looks so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is the banana you don't like? you could swap it for something else x

      Delete
  4. OHHHHHHHH!! I need this now. x

    sffhcks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha this is often how I feel about pudding ^^

      Delete
  5. i am not a huge fan of banana.. can i use combination of fruits?? the taste wont change?

    I have a "delicious giveaway" - win a abataba jewellery on my blog.
    love
    megha
    http://meghafashionista.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could probably put in whatever you fancied in, or just skip the banana all together :) x

      Delete
  6. This looks delicious! Definitely in the mood for baking now x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks, I am in the mood to make something else today already haha x

      Delete
  7. Looks delicious and I love your little fishy bowl! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe thank you, I was with my mum when I brought this and I remember her asking me "what on earth will you use that for?!", sure proved her wrong!

      Delete

Leave a comment & make my day!