Monday, 16 April 2012

W7 Candy Floss Review - Benefit Dupe?

Hello ladies. 

I've recently gone from someone that never really wore blusher to someone who has several of them and they've become part of my every day make up. With that my blusher collection has tripled. My big love are the Benefit boxed blushers, but at nearly £25 a pop they are only an occasional treat. I've noticed a lot of similar looking boxed blushers popping up all over the place, as brands have noticed that people love the design. W7 have a recently shown their hand with the boxed blusher Candy Floss.


Candy Floss is a fairly recent release from W7. A brightening face powder with a silky finish.


The first thing I noticed about this blush was the striking similarity to the Benefit boxed blushers. First the square box is almost identical, apart from the the W7 blusher is slightly deeper than the Benefit. The lid lifts off like the older style Benefit blushers (Hervana and some of the more recent realeses flip open and have a little magnet on the the inside to close the box, which I didn't notice but has stuck a kirby grip to the box!). The type face is different, but the brand logo is again very similar. Overall the packaging is almost exactly the same as the Benefit boxed blusher. Although W7 isn't the only brand doing this recently, others such as Mememe are also selling very similar looking blusher boxes.


The ingredients are clearly listed on the back. Although the box is deeper there are 2 grams less of powder in the box. There's also a clear swatch on the back so you can get a sneak peak of the colour (the box is cellotaped shut when you buy it).


When I opened the box there were two things I noticed straight away. Firstly, the brush is again, very like the Benefit brush. The other was, that's a fair bit darker than that swatch on the back of the box! Rather than a very soft girly pink, it's a deeper pink. I personally don't mind but I do think the swatch on the back of the box is very misleading. 


Swatched on the back of my hand, the colour is again, much darker than I expected. It's highly pigmented so a lot of colour transfers. Although I'm not unhappy with the blush, the colour is completely different to what I expected. The named & the box swatch indicates a soft pink, where as it's a dark pink. If you could open the box before hand this wouldn't be a problem but you can't, you could if you really wanted to but the celotape is around almost the whole box. 

Candy Floss is available from Boots and is a snip of a Benefit box at £2.99.

So will you be passing up the Benefit boxed blushers for a W7 box?

X

11 comments:

  1. I don't know if I could ever pass up on Benefit! Its a lot of money to shell out for one of their box blushes but I reckon they're so worth it!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same, I've had a lot of their boxed blushers and I love them :D x

      Delete
  2. A chemist near me stocks W7 and I do agree these look so much like Benefit's! Their nail polishes are also a bit like O.P.I :) Haven't tried this yet but I did try their box bronzer and I like it even though I'll have to start using it again,it's been stuck at the back of my makeup box for a while now..

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed that as well, the black top and the bottle shape haha :D X

      Delete
  3. The colour of the blush actually looks quite nice, albeit being darker than the swatch like you said! But £2.99! Wow. I do wish brands would stop copying Benefit's packaging though, I sometimes get self-conscious and do not like to think that I am too cheap to get the whole Benefit experience >___< x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teehee ^^ I know what you mean, all the brands seem to copy each other, like E.L.F and MAC :) x

      Delete
  4. Do want to try this (so cheap!) I like the darker pink colour, though you are right, the lighter colour on the box seems misleading xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its only so bad because you can't open the box and there were no testers about. I think if you know the colour up front it's wonderful, but they need to change the colour on the back :) x

      Delete
  5. This looks like its worth a try, especially at £2.99! I do love Benefit though <3
    Carissa xx

    Vanilla Crush Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there

    They dont sell w7 in boots in leeds. I havent seen the hervana one. do you have another page you have swatched this on please? is it like la bamba? the w7 double act is really good and benefit 10

    ReplyDelete
  7. They do lovely baked blushes as well which look like chanel

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment & make my day!