Monday, 29 October 2012

DIY Christmas - Make Your Own Wrapping Paper

Hello lovely ladies.

I know, I've been harping on about Christmas a lot recently, but today's post needs to be a little early, if you wanted to join in! 

Me & my boyfriend are both from quite large families, for example my boyfriend has 5 siblings. That's a lot of presents! But more importantly, it's a whole lot of wrapping paper! I worked out last year, that we spent nearly £30 on wrapping paper. £30! That's a whole lot of money, on what gets torn off on Christmas day, to either go in the bin or the recycling shortly after that. So I started thinking of ways of getting around it. And then it came to me when I pulled out my crafty box, I'd make my own! I've been at it for a couple of weeks now, so I thought I'd share my how to, but first, what will you need?


  • Brown parcel paper. The one photoed is from Poundland but its such good quality it could be from any where, and comes in 8 meter rolls. 
  • Stamps - The ones above are from Hobby Craft, a craft shop in town & the polar bear in the Christmas hat is from Etsy here. 
  • Ink - The red one is a cheapy one you can pick up from shops like Hobby Craft & the Dormy is one thats been in the house forever. 
  • Scissors - Bee theme is of course optional, but these ones are from Paperchase. 

I thought about different ways I could do this, I thought about continuously stamping on to the roll, but wit limited space in the flat & a cat that loves nothing more in this world than paper, it seemed easier to cut around a meter off at a time and stamp on to that. It also means that I can vary the patterns a bit. One thing to take in to consideration is that the brown parcel paper is around 2/3rds of the size of a normal roll of wrapping paper, so if your buying a very tall and long present you may struggle to fit the gift inside the paper, however I know that Ikea sells brown paper normal sized wrapping paper, but its a little more expensive than this purse friendly one.


So, grab a pad (filthy lid is of course, optional) and a stamp & get inking. Here's one I've made, and some tips from what I've learnt.


Random polar bears. A piece of wrapping paper like this (just stamping where ever) is really quick & easy, around 5 minutes or so. It doesn't need to be even particularly, but if you stand up every now and again its easier to see if you have more stamps on one side or the other. 


Something a bit more intricate will take much longer, a repeating pattern in lines looks snazzy, but each line takes around 10 minutes. This piece with repeating snowflake trees took around 45 minutes to finish, and this was made a lot easier as this stamp was a clear stamp mounted on a acrylic block (which are marked with a grid for easy alignment) so take than in to account when starting! I found if I did a few lines and had a break for a while I got less frustrated.

 
Gone wrong? Smudge a stamp? Ppft don't worry! No one is going to notice once its wrapped around a gift, but if it really bothers you, once you come to using it as wrapping paper just cut it off! 


Now, when I think of "brown paper packages" which is essentially what the gifts will be once there wrapped up, I follow that thought up with "tied up with string". But string, can be scratchy and unpleasant to use, so when I spotted red, candy cane striped twine in a craft shop I picked it up and thought "that's perfect!", but I flipped it over and saw the price, £3.99 for 5 meters. I had a quick look in to it, and found it on eBay, for £1.69 for 20 meters (here)! This is technically "cooking twine" but it feels and looks exactly the same, sans Christmas packaging.


So far, I've made around 6(ish, I haven't measured) meters in all different patterns, it's taken a few weeks (mainly because I've been a bit lazy and forgot to do it!) but I'm really pleased with how its coming along, and I'm really hoping that my friends and family like it! It feels a bit more personal and I think it looks nice. I've also worked out that I've spent around £4 on 4 rolls of paper, £10ish on stamps and £1 on ink (I did already have two stamps and an ink pad) so I've literally cut in half what I spent last year. Which is winning in my book! And I will be reusing the stamps next year, so hopefully next year my spend of wrapping paper will be even lower!

So ladies, have I enticed you at all to make your own?

X

28 comments:

  1. Yes, you totally enticed me to make my own wrapping paper!!! I am soooo doing it! Thanks for this fabulous idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you Sandra, that's really nice <3

      Delete
  2. That is a fabulous idea :)
    I want to try it this christmas! :)

    Amy xx
    http://alittleboatsailing.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww I'm glad you like it!

      Delete
    2. I sure do, I've already had a look for stamps online :) xx

      Delete
  3. Wow this is such a cool idea, I am going to try this myself as I always hate trying to find wrapping paper for my boyfriend at Xmas lol.

    Charlee
    http://charmedcharlee.blogspot.co.uk
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks lovely! It's hard to find wrapping paper for everyone! x

      Delete
  4. bloody brilliant! Will give this a go :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did this last year with potato prints and gold paint. It looked lovely with metallic bows on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of doing it with a potato but i'm not sure how to carve it :(

      Delete
  6. i did this last year and it went down so well with family :) i wasn't sure anyone would notice but i'm glad they did! also, love your choice of stamps, they're amazing! i bought some cooking twine a while ago too- i love that when you're crafty you don't care if it's for cooking or not haha x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first thought was "Oh but thats too pretty to be for cooking!" :p and thank you lovely :D x

      Delete
  7. what a fantastic idea - they look great... I wanna try them too! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is such a great idea! the stamps are so cute and I love brown paper packages, especially the sound they make (haha so weird!)xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwww thank you love;y, thats really sweet :D

      Delete
  9. this is so goooood, glad to see the final products! Im going to have to steal this idea, usually i buy paper from papaerchase but thattts too expensive and hurr!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Yeahhhhh its fabby and easy peasy :D x

      Delete
  10. oo i am so gonna give this a go =) I usually buy my wrapping paper pretty cheapily anyway but i think the personal touch would be add a little something special =) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Thank you hun, and yeah its pretty cheap to do and (I think) it looks really personal :D

      Delete
  11. Gorgeous! I've done this before and it makes for cost effective wrapping paper and Xmas cards x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely, and I am so surprised that even though I've bought the stamps its worked out cheaper :D

      Delete
  12. The Candy Cane String has really caught my eye, what a find :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. great idea! Looks so cute and retro too! x

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment & make my day!