Tuesday, 11 December 2012

Garnier Olia In Intense Red, Miracle Product Or Waste Of Money

Hello lovely ladies.

I've had red hair on and off now for almost 10 years, and I'm going to start this review off by saying I'm not fussy about my hair, as long as it's red. My hair has been in desperate need of dyeing for at least 3 weeks now, awful roots and extremely faded, and usually my hair dye of choice is normal the Schwarzkopf Live XXL. I decided to opt for a new one, one hailed as a miracle product, Garnier Olia, so lets explore. 


Hailed as a hair dye that won't feel like a hair dye, it's ammonia free, made of 60% natural flower oils, has optimal scalp comfort, and, most importantly a vibrant red


This hair dye comes with more bits and pieces inside than a normal hair dye, and the bottle looked fairly massive, so as my hair is shorter than it has been for a long time I decided than one bottle would be enough. 

So, I thought I'd do a before and after picture of the colour. This is the before. 


Red, but faded, and in need of a lick of colour! 

So, I poured the two bottles in to the larger bottle, and was instantly annoyed. Although the bottle is quite large, it only fill it up to around half way. This annoys me for two reasons, it's misleading and it's a complete waste of plastic.The colour at first was a light orange, but this is normal for most red hair dyes as the colour will develop over time. I applied it with the help of my other half, who helped me check I had applied it evenly and hadn't missed any where.

Once it was on the hair I was surprised by how much I couldn't feel it. This is probably the only positive thing I will say about this hair dye, but it honestly had no "scalp sting" as with almost every other hair dye I've ever tried. 

So, this is where the review is going to get a bit meaner than I generally like to be, but honestly, I felt I need to say it.

As I was washing it out I was surprised to find my hair felt just as stringy and like wet wool as with a normal hair dye. This hair dye is meant to leave your hair feeling soft and undamaged, due to it not having ammonia in & all the oil this hair dye. So, the main selling point, and the reason this hair dye is much more expensive, is mute. It almost feels slightly worse, as the conditioner on it seemed to contain a lot of oil that has just sat on the surface of the hair and not penetrated through. 

But then, well no, then there is the actual colour. I did as the leaflet suggest and left it on for 30 minutes, but in reality more like 40 minutes to let the hair dye do it's thing. I dried my hair slightly and peered at it in the foggy mirror get a first impression of the colour. First thought? That's not red. Not. Red. This hair dye is called "Intense Red" and at very best, it's a brown red. I've taken a picture without flash so you can get the idea. 


As I said, it's not red. I was so stunned I kept looking and looking in the mirror like I was seeing it wrong. This couldn't be, I've used Superdrugs own brand thats made my hair redder than this! As I said before I'm not fussy as long as it's red, and I am so gutted with this colour it's unreal! I actually think my hair was redder before using this dye. It also looks really faded, so I can't imagine how bad this colour will be in a week when the colour has washed out a little more!

So, overall, possibly the worst product I've used this year! I bought this product on offer for £5.99, a full £1 more than a Live XXL, and as it's usually £6.99 it's very overpriced as it does nothing it promises! I bought this to dye my hair before Christmas, and I am beyond annoyed that I am going to had to go and buy more hair dye to cover this colour up! So, to sum up, not red and a waste of money! 

Have you ladies ever tried a hair dye you've really hated? Any other brands to avoid? 

X

26 comments:

  1. Dear me, what a disappointment!!
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So so so disappointing! x

      Delete
    2. Ive just used Olia in Brown & my hair was dry afterwards and too dark. They have lost the plot. The stupid hole in the box & the wasteful extra bottle. Garnier are owned by Loreal so they know its normal to store the product in one bottle before mixing.
      Your hair looked prettier & healthier before you used Olia. Before re dyeing it get Colour B4 from Savers chemist & remove the heavy red/brown Olia shade first. Dont dye on top as it will be a waste of money.Colour B4 is £12 in Boots but only £5 in Savers & Asda. I wish manufacturers would stop messing around & just give us more product in the box so we dont have to buy two boxes if we have long thick hair.Good luck.

      Delete
  2. You have just saved me a LOT of dissapointment! I was going to give this a try at the weekend :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you saw it hun, if you've already bought it I hope you can take it back lovely!

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad I didn't buy this over my usual dye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be going back for my usual dye tomorrow or the next day, I need it to go away!

      Delete
  4. It's actually quite a nice colour, but definitely not intense red... false advertising! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nonsense, its so barely a red it's so very annoying!

      Delete
    2. Funny that you mention that! In Canada the same shade 6.60 is not called Intense Red, but rather Light Intense Auburn, and the colour on the box is more of a browny auburn. Very silly, considering that the model in all of the advertisements has this (unachievable) bright red hair that can't even be found by looking at the boxes on the shelf. At least we aren't as mislead as you guys!

      Delete
  5. I have used Olia myself and found my hair to be in a worse condition afterwards compared to when I use normal hairdye like nice n' easy.

    I think the colour quality is good if you are dying your hair blonde but the conditioning element which is its unique selling point is awful, I won't be using again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I didn't think to say it might be better colour in other colours but I do agree, my hair feels horribly dry tonight and its only going to get worse as I need to dye it again :(

      Delete
  6. i have used this product now already 2-times. but my hair will not accept the color. now i look like a cow with red spots.
    from now on, i will change back to a different coloration. (Brilliance from Schwarzkopf)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same, I had to go out & buy more schwazkopf! x

      Delete
  7. I used this today in the same colour (intense red) before reading your review. I have to say my experience wasnt half as bad. It does feel a bit horrible when its on but I think thats due to the massaging step you have to take, it makes your hair feel a bit matted. When I started washing it out, my hair did feel similar to after normal hair dye, but after a few minutes I could definitely tell the difference! It felt a lot softer than the straw hair I usually get after colouring. I didnt use the conditioner in the box though, maybe thats the difference? The colour looks more coppery toned red than the red on the box but so far I have only seen my hair in artificial light so we shall see. Its lovely to not have that lingering chemical smell afterwards and my hair and scalp are much more happy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure really what went wrong with mine, I guess it was just a disappointment because it looked nothing like it did on the box :( x

      Delete
  8. I haven't tried the Olia haircolor specifically, but my experience with the two Garnier dyes I've tried in the past is that it always comes out much darker after the first application, but tends to settle after about a week or two. It's a pain, since it usually looks harsh for the first week.

    Have you found this, now about a month or so on from the initial review, or has it stayed reddish-brown?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest it was only about 7 days until I gave in & dyed it again, as I went to the hair dressers & 3 separate people made an off the cuff, unprompted, remarked about how faded my hair looked! By about day 3 it just looked like extremely washed out hair & I wanted it to look nice for Christmas :( x

      Delete
  9. Just dyed my hair using Olia Auburn and around my scalp is bright red the rest of my hair is brown except a huge red spot mid length. WTF??? I have never had this issue before not with all the different dyes I have used over the years. My last dye was at least 6 months prior so it's not that. My DH helped me we parted and did each section. My hair is thin so I had plenty to cover and massage in. What a horror.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just curious... what do you normally dye your hair with? I've seen several pictures on your blog which show an exceedingly lovely shade of red and as I love a good red, myself, I definitely would love to know what you've tried that *has* worked. :)

    As for brands I've tried and loved:

    * Ion Color Brilliance Permanent Creme 6RV (which is a fairly tame red as far as bright reds go, but I love how well it covers and how gentle it is on my scalp. It's a beautiful color and I have gotten compliments. It's just not as va-va-voom as I would like.) I'm considering adding a color boost to this to see what I can come up with.

    * L'Oreal Excellence HiColor Magenta (Love, Love, LOVE this color. I got mega compliments using it.) One woman even ran across a parking to tell me that my hair was the most amazing thing she'd ever seen in the sun! *grins* It is *not* for the faint of heart though as it is definitely BRIGHT. It's also supposed to be used on dark, virgin hair.. Which mine was definitely not. (It was red and dyed at the time.) The downer? It fades super fast and will go into a pinkish hue as it fades. So basically? Typical red upkeep required.

    L'Oreal Mega Reds Haircolor Intense Auburn was alright, but I find that Ion does a lot less damage to my scalp and my hair. And the staying power is longer with Ion than it ever was with the mega reds.

    I'm very curious about Feria's reds as I've only ever tried the darker shades. But I'm afraid it'll tear my scalp up as badly as the others of that brand did.

    Thank you for the review on Olia. I was really curious about what it was like and wasn't ready to experiment on my own. You've saved me money and disappointment!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Omg thank you for your review - I was thinking of trying it, but I'd hate to make my hair darker!

    ReplyDelete
  12. live colours especially red are really bad for your hair tbh. Too much silicone

    ReplyDelete
  13. live colours especially red are really bad for your hair tbh. Too much silicone

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have used this product twice now and it has faded both times within a week. very disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hate this brand so much! Dyed my hair with in on Saturday and it did more or less nothing. My roots are an orangey tint and the rest of my hair looks as faded and horrible as it did before I dyed it. I'm so disappointed and gutted over my hair that it's insane!
    It's one of the most expensive brand we have in Sweden, maybe even the most expensive one and I feel so bad for people who buy this and don't get what they want!

    I'm never buying this brand again, and I HATE the results it gave me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hate this brand so much! Dyed my hair with in on Saturday and it did more or less nothing. My roots are an orangey tint and the rest of my hair looks as faded and horrible as it did before I dyed it. I'm so disappointed and gutted over my hair that it's insane!
    It's one of the most expensive brand we have in Sweden, maybe even the most expensive one and I feel so bad for people who buy this and don't get what they want!

    I'm never buying this brand again, and I HATE the results it gave me!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment & make my day!