Tuesday, 8 January 2013

Need To Get Rich Quick? Try eBay

Hello lovely ladies. 

The memory of Christmas seems like a life time a go, and I know many of us will be feeling the pinch, which leads a lot of us trying to come up with crazy get rich schemes. Now, I'm not saying your idea of selling ice on the internet isn't going to work, but if it doesn't, why not give eBay selling a try. 


Selling on eBay is a fab way to boost your income with items you've already got sitting around your house, taking up space. However if your new to it, it can be a bit of a mine field, so here's my guide to selling on eBay. 

What you need. 

To sell on eBay, all you need is an eBay account, a PayPal account (with a verified bank card attached, or you'll be limited to selling 10 items a month, all you need to do to verify it is ring your bank and ask, and they'll do the rest) a couple of good quality bits to sell (see below to clear up what I mean by good quality) and some posting material.  

Price.
Now, this is basically the real reason any one lists anything on eBay, to make money. However, what you think the item is worth, and what people will pay, can be worlds apart. Before I sell anything I will have a quick look on eBay first, too see if what I'm selling has bids on, and around what price. However, not everything you want to sell will be on eBay, so you need to decided what the minimum amount you'd be happy to accept is, and list it for that. If you honestly don't care if you make 99p then that will be free to list (see fee's lower down), however if you won't let it go for less than £10, stick it up as that, or you'll risk being disappointed.

Fees. 

Any time you sell something on eBay, you will be charged a fee, which is between 1.4% and 3.4% by PayPal, plus 20p from eBay. These fees come out monthly as a lump sum, so either you need to leave enough to cover them in your PayPal account, or it will be taken from your bank account. However eBay will send a message to remind you a few days before so you'll have enough time to make sure you can cover them, if you don't you'll eBay will be suspended until you pay them.

Postage. 

If I can only give you lovely ladies one piece of advice let it be this, do NOT take the mick with your postage costs, because eBay buyers are savvy to postage costs and your item will make a lot less money, it will put people off. I sit down with a set of scales and weigh things before putting up postage costs. I post everything by standard second class as I find people want to pay as little as possible for postage. If you need jiffy bags, Poundland sells them for a really reasonable price in packs of 7 small, 5 medium or 3 large. But honestly, if you whack the postage up to the maximum (usually £4.00 for clothes) expect to make about half of what another seller with reasonable postage costs will make. Also, its worth mentioning that eBay buyers HATE to wait, so try to have listings end the day before your day off, as sending them the day after they end will keep them happy!

Pictures

Ok, here's two pictures. 

One. 


Two.


If people can barely make out what it is, they are much less likely to bid. I can't stress enough the importance of good photos, and believe me, this isn't photo snobbery. I've picked up some unbelievable bargains due to the photo being poor, either it's extremely blurry, too far away to make out, etc, etc. But, if people can make out exactly what it is, they are much more likely to bid. If possible, don't take pictures with your camera phone, they don't pick up enough detail. Your first photo is free on eBay, but each additional photo costs 12p, however, if it needs a second photo (i.e a dress with detail on the back) it is well worth sticking up a second photo, as people are much more likely to bid if they can see the item in it's full glory. 

Title

A good title is almost as important as photos. Again, two more pictures for you lovely lot. 


 
Topshop Dress. This is a bad title, it gives very little detail to what the item is for someone scanning eBay. 

Topshop Lace Dress Size 12 BN. This is a more grabbing title, it tells the buyer the size, the material and BN stands for Brand New. Basically for a title you need to give as much detail about item as possible to get people to investigate further, which will hopefully turn in to bids! 

Description. 

In the description box, try and add as much detail about the item as you possibly can, the size, the make, the brand, so on and so forth, but most importantly, be honest! Don't try and sell an item as "vintage" if its from Primark, because when the buyer gets the item, they will either demand (and I mean demand, people can get really arsey, very very quickly) their money back or leave you negative feedback, which will put future sellers off. I've often asked sellers questions after a description which will literally just be a copy and paste of the title, as before I part with money I want to know a little more about it!

Good quality items. 

This an each to their own situation, but I will tell you lovely lot how I sort out items for selling. With clothes, I tend to only try and sell items that are either new or worn once or twice, as bobbling will keep the item from getting many bids. With jewellery, if it's tarnished or the chain is broken, missing gems or just generally past it's best it's not worth trying to sell either. Make up can only be sold on eBay if it's new, and if you try and list a used lipstick it will be removed by eBay. Basically, I've found that items that are new or like new will sell, very used or broken items aren't worth your time listing (there is one exception to this rule, which I will list below!) 

Items that sell well:

This isn't a hard and fast list, however these are the items I've found that sell very well:
  • Branded Dresses. Topshop, River Island, Warehouse, any high street shop really, dresses seem to do much better than jeans, or t shirts. 
  • Branded Jewellery, again high street jewellery if it's new does quite well, but I've found higher end jewellery, like Tatty Devine will usually make pretty close to the RRP. 
  • Yankee Candles. Yankee does pretty well on eBay in general, but older, rarer jars & tarts can some times make up to double the RRP. With less rare tarts readily available in stores I've found doing a bundle will make quite a bit more then selling them one by one as the postage works out much cheaper. 
  • Branded home wear. In particular, Emma Bridgewater anything in good condition can make close to the RRP, but even odd things like lids to teapots can fetch a good price. Cath Kidston is an odd one and can be a bit risky, but on the whole will make a good price. 
  • Brand new high end make up. This again is a bit of a risky one, but if you can prove the item is genuine (i.e a receipt or a box, or even clear pictures of the back label) you can make a good price, but my list of the top earners would be, MAC, Chanel, Benefit, Dior. 
  • Perfume. Now this is an odd one, but even a half empty perfume will make good money. I think people buy them to test if they like the perfume first. Not all brands will make good money even if it's half empty, but on the whole expensive perfume will do well. 
  •  Broken electronics. Another odd one, but I've sold totally broken items on eBay for good money. This includes mobile phones. The technology savvy people out there will buy up broken items at a fraction of the cost, and fix them up. The great thing about it as the item is its useless to me, so I don't mind what it goes for. Just be really honest, and if you don't know whats wrong just say, oh and put FOR SPARES AND REPAIRS in the title, description, everywhere you can!  
But not everything will make good money, and some things will make pennies or not sell at all. It used to be the case that most things on eBay would sell for at least 99p, but since the postage went up people are just being much more careful on what they bid on.

Items that don't sell well.
  • Primark. This has exceptions (the Christmas jumpers for example where going for £30+ in some cases) but a worn Primark dress will usually make 99p or nothing, this goes for just about everything.
  • Heavy, bulky items. Coats, for example, don't do particularly well, as postage will cost a lot more and people just don't want to pay it. I've seen a few Topshop coats sell for 99p or not at all, so if you genuinely want rid it may be worth trying it. 
  • Well worn shoes. Shoes that are a bit scuffed or the worn inside don't tend to sell well. Again, postage is quite high for shoes so that also puts people off. 
  • CD'S / DVD'S. Unless they are brand new releases that is. Older DVD's sell for pennies, and CD'S rarely sell at all. 
So, that's my guide to selling on eBay, these aren't hard and fast rules but what I've picked up. But in general, as long as you put a good title, with a good picture to sell a good quality item, you will make some money! 

So ladies, do you sell on eBay? If not do you fancy selling on eBay?

X

6 comments:

  1. This is an absolutely fantastic post! I wish I had read this when I started out on eBay, as it can be really daunting if you've never sold on eBay before x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you lovely, really nice of you to say, and god I wish I'd know as I used to just try and sell everything and anything haha

      Delete
  2. This is a really helpful post, I've been wanting to sell stuff on ebay as most of the things I buy I only use once, the only thing holding me back is that I'm worries about the sort of people on eBay who buy something from you then pretend they never got it in the post and demand a refund :/ Does this happen often?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting this. There are some things I want to sell on eBay and you have helped. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm actually listing stuff right now, good timing! I only sell stuff when I actually need money and have stuff I think will actually sell, it's just not worth the utter crap you get from some people to be doing it regularly, people bug me ;) I think for some categories you can list extra photos for free, definitely in the clothing one you can (only know cause I mostly sell clothing!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh great post. Very helpful :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment & make my day!