Monday, 22 April 2013

Zoya Pixie Dust in Chyna

Hello lovelies. 

I've been rather slow of the mark in getting my head around textured nail varnish. That was until I started seeing swatches of the Zoya Pixie Dusts on American blogs, and I knew I had to investigate, and after a bit of umming and arring over colours, I decided to go for the red, Chyna. Zoya are possibly my favouirte nail varnish brand, as well as being 3 free, they have a stunning range of colours, it's a bit like American Apparel, where they have the same colour in lots of different versions (glitter, high shine, jellies etc).


Pixie Dusts are probably best described as a matte textured sparkle, not quite a glitter but not far off. The bottle has had a little upgrade for this range as well, a matte rubber brush lid & PixieDust added underneath the Zoya, which I like as it helps identify it quickly. I ended up going for the red as it reminded me of the Barry M red glitter, the first nail varnish I ever bought myself & the first bottle I ever finished.


The textured element of this polish is much finer than other textured polishes, such as the the OPI Liquid Sands or the Barry M Textured polishes, meaning it's more buildable on the nail without feeling like your have dipped wet nails straight in the sand.


Here I've applied one thin coat, and as you can see you can see the texture of the polish, but with one coat it's more of a raspberry red rather than a deep red.


Here I've applied two coats, which you can see gives a much darker true red, and the texture is much more noticeable. 


In all the instructions on how to wear the Pixie Dust it says you shouldn't apply top coat as it will ruin the effect of the texture & the matte, but I found that if you apply one very thin coat of top coat it makes very little difference but you do loose a little bit of the matte effect, so that does depend on what you like, but your more likely to get a few more days wear out of it.

In terms of getting it off, its about as hard to get off as a small glitter nail varnish, takes a bit more scrubbing but no where near as hard as a chunky glitter. 

Overall I really like it, it's both my first matte & first textured nail varnish & on the nails it's really eye catching. It's nice to have something a bit different to my usually high shine multi glitter! 

Zoya can be a bit of a pain to get in the U.K, but is widely sold online, and you can buy Chyna here for £10.50.

So ladies what do you think? Loving the textured nail varnish trend or a bit unsure? 

X

3 comments:

  1. The sparkly Pixiedust finish is the only textured polish I'm tempted by too - it looks like icing sugar on the nails rather than like you've applied polish and then gone to sleep! I'm tempted by the light minty green from the first range and the purple from the forthcoming summer collection...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This shade is gorgeous :) I'm not a big fan of red as I think it makes my hands look a bit ill but I would be tempted by this colour :)

    Amy xx
    A Little Boat Sailing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I love how this looks! This colour is super pretty too <3

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment & make my day!