Friday, 9 May 2014

Yankee Candle How To Guide: Wax Tarts & Tart Burners

Hello lovelies. 

As you may or may not know, I work for Yankee Candle, and on an average day I tend to be asked a lot of questions regarding candles, wax tarts, accessories, how to use it, what it does and so on! So I thought I'd put together a couple of little How To Guide


Today I'm talking about wax tarts and tart burners! These I tend to be asked about the most, as they are a really new concept in England, so I thought I'd do this one first! 

What are wax tarts, what do they look like? 


Wax tarts are small, flat, scalloped edged solid yet soft wax in a plastic wrap. They do not have wicks, and are unable to be burnt without a tart burner. They are available in all the same fragrances as the candles, carrying the same label imagery and coloured wax as the larger candles. 

What is a tart burner?

 
A tart burner looks a lot like an oil burner, a vase shape with a dish on top and a empty section in the bottom, but a tart burner has a deeper dish as tarts need more space to melt. Tart burners come in a varitey of shapes, sizes, designs and are often made of different materials, but glass and ceramic tend to be the most common. 

How do I use a tart in a tart burner?


First, unwrap the tart and put it on top on the burner dish, get an unscented tea light light it, and pop it in the bottom. You can use a scented tea light, put it will be covered by the tart scent, you are using the tea light just on the heat. 

How long will it take to melt?


After about 5 minutes, you will notice the the tart will start to melt around the edges, and you will start to notice the fragrance.

How long will it take to melt fully?


This varies from burner to burner, but it will be somewhere between 15 and 25 minutes. When melted it turns to a see through wax. The fragrance will last around 12 hours per tart, but this varies between each scent. Once you notice the fragrance is gone you will be left with unscented wax in the burner, which you need to remove (gently push it down on one side and see if it will pop up, or if it's stubborn, light a tealight and pop it under for about 30 seconds and gently push it to one side and it should slide out with ease) and replace it with a new tart.

What are the advantages to wax tarts?

Once the burner is bought, bar an accident, it will last forever. Yankee sells basic burners for around £5 which work as well as more expensive ones, but a more simple design. 

Wax tarts are cheaper if you want to try lots of different scents. Wax tarts are around £1.25 each, and they last for 12 hours. So if you find you get bored of scents, you like to try different ones, or your just not sure if you like it, wax tarts are a good way to try scents without spending a lot. 

They are quick to use. They take 15 minutes to start throwing out scent, whereas a candle will take at least an hour to really get going, so they are good if you want something quick!

Strength! Every wax tart I've ever used has had a really good scent "throw" (strength) and I find I can smell one throughout the whole house. This is generally why wax tarts are so popular. 

So that's how to use wax tarts and tart burners! I will be doing a few different posts on candles, candle care, Yankee accessories and tips are tricks I've picked up, so I hope you will come back and read those.

So ladies, who out there has tried Yankee Candle Wax Tarts? What have you thought of them? 

X

5 comments:

  1. I got a wax burner for Christmas and I am totally converted.
    Hayley
    Water Painted Dreams xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have their tarts but have yet to use them, as we don't have a tart burner... Hoping to cut them in half and use them in an oil burner. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only just started using them but I love them! I agree with you about the scent throw xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to love using wax tarts but I found that the scent would be too strong and give me sore throats, whereas the candles themselves never have been an issue... Weird.

    BTW a tip I used to remove my old wax tarts from the burner was to allow the wax to cool down fully in the burner and then pop the burner in the freezer, with the cooled down wax inside of it for a couple of minutes and then when I'd take it out, the wax tart would slip out easily! :D

    http://theremightbecoffee.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment & make my day!